Do you need to record high-quality podcasts, interviews, the sound for the video series, live performances or a video to YouTube with a good sound? You may have noticed that the built-in microphone in your iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) not always cope with this task. How to fix it and turn your iPhone into a real recorder?
Quite simply, today there are many special microphones specially designed for iPhone and iPad, which are compatible with almost all popular applications running on the operating system iOS.
Let us consider some of them.
Top 5 mics for iOS
IK Multimedia iRig Mic Cast
The model IK Multimedia iRig MIC Cast is a compact and lightweight microphone designed specifically for high-quality voice recording during interviews, press conferences, various lectures and live performances, as well as for other events.
In addition, iRig MIC Cast is an ideal and compact solution for voice recording without any unnecessary noise. In other words, it is perfect also for the office, that is, in the implementation of video conferencing and meetings of various sizes.
This microphone is designed specifically for the technology from the Apple company, it works with iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad.
An interesting fact is also that in this case, a very tricky plug is used, which is mounted at the entrance to the headphone jack, so that a person who is near can hear exactly what you slander into the microphone, and then evaluate the quality or correctness of the foregoing.
Attention is drawn to the fact that IK Multimedia iRig MIC Cast is an essential thing for the organization of your own songs, any folk songs, podcasts or just for writing philosophical thoughts in the silence of the night.
From now, all of the above are possible! The accessory has an excellent performance, good sensitivity, comfort handle, protected from external threats microphone and many other important advantages. Especially for the gadget, you can download a free program for users who record the vocals.
In order to obtain an absolutely high-quality and clean sound, the microphone does not necessarily have to be large in size. You can make sure in this, when you see the iRig MIC Cast in the process!
Main specifications of the microphone:
- There are 2 completely free application called iRig Recorder and VocaLive.
- Connector for headphones.
- There are 2 modes of operation: recording at close / far distances.
- It comes complete with a special support needed for the sustainable establishment of iPhone / iPod Touch directly on the table.
- This device is very compact and ergonomical.
- It is easily connected to the devices located in the covers.
- It has compatibility with the iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch.
Tascam IM2 – is a new portable stereo recording device with a dock connector. New sets itself is apart from the regular solutions of iPhone/iPad by having two rotatable condenser microphones (the same used in the popular series DR recorders from the same manufacturer), good noise reduction and the ability to record the sound power to 125dB.
The support of audio recording of a concert volume makes the microphone to be indispensable for fans of recording such performances. IM2 is also equipped with limiter of sudden too loud sounds. This, for example, will help to avoid clogging the entire audio panorama by sharp guitar solo.
Users, who have already tried to write anything other than a low-volume voice on the iPhone, know the borders of possibility of the built-in microphone. The recording sounds awfully and extraneous noises realy prevents from listenning. But the proposed new Tascam would be a great addition to an excellent camera of iPhone for recording amateur video. Moreover, the new microphone works with any record labels of iOS application.
This stereo microphone is an audio interface for iPhone, Dock, USB-Mini-B, 16 / 44.1. In addition, the interface has a recording level controls, a built-in limiter and an additional connector USB-Mini-B.
- Powered via the iPhone dock connector.
- Audio recording format 44.1 kHz / 16 bit.
- Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch 4G, iPad, iPad 2.
- Software Tascam PCM Recorder app can be downloaded for free from the website AppleStore.
Rode VideoMic Me
The model of the directional microphone VideoMic Me isdeveloped by Rode. Affordable small device provides high quality audio during video with iPhone / iPad. With an adjustable mount the microphone is suitable for a wide range of iOS gadgets, which connect to through TRRS connector.
In addition, there is a headphone output to monitor recordings. Aluminium housing of this model is equipped with a ceramic anti-reflective coating. Delivery set includes fuzzy windscreen, designed for shooting outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
Technical parameters of the VideoMic Me:
- It works on the principle of a pressure gradient.
- Capsule diameter of 0.5 inches is used.
- Polar pattern of cardioid type.
- Frequency: 100-20 000 Hz.
- The sensitivity: -33 dB at 22 mV.
- The maximum sound pressure: 140 dB.
- Equivalent noise: 20 dB.
- Dimensions 38x21x80 mm.
- Weight: 34 g.
The company RODE Microphones introduced a new version of the stereo microphone RODE iXY Lightning. The novelty is focused on the work with the iPhone and iPad. RODE iXYL has Lightning interface, making it compatible with the iPhone 5, 5s and 5c. The microphone records the sound of the standard 24-bit / 96 kHz in conjunction with the iOS-app RODE Rec.
RODE iXYL is equipped with 2 1/2 “capsules combined in X-Y configuration, in addition, there is an ADC. The microphone is designed to work for recording music, lectures, interviews, videos and others.
iXYL captures the audio from any site, it can be a small cozy cafe, and a large stadium. The model is perfect for reporters, guaranteeing quality and lightning-fast record.
The microphone attaches securely to the camera, so that the sound is recorded at an excellent level. Thanks to such characteristics, the microphone can be used for lectures, business meetings and it records speech by pressing a single button.
Microphone RODE iXYL works with virtually any audio application.back to menu ↑
Model Shure MV88 is designed specifically to work in complete with iOS-devices equipped with Lightning connector. The product is equipped with an all-metal body with an additional hinged to the possibility of changing the angle of the microphone. Shure MV88 provides high quality of video recording material – clips or live performances.
In addition, Mid-Side Technology and perfectly matched capsules allow to record a detailed clear stereo. Monitoring of real-time recording can be carried out directly through the headphones of the iOS-device.
All settings of MV88 are managed by a special application ShurePlus ™ Motiv ™ Mobile, free installed on the iPod, iPhone or iPad.
The app allows you to:
- adjust the volume, gain and stereo width;
- control EQ, limiter and compressor;
- perform switching of 5 DSP modes (Flat, Speech, Singing, Acoustic and Loud).
- Frequency response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz.
- Quality of recording up to 24 bit / 48 kHz.
- Gain adjustment range: 0 – 36 dB.
- Sensitivity: -37 dBFS / Pa (at 1 kHz).
- Max. level of sound pressure: 120 dB.
- Dimensions: 67* 25*35 mm.
- Weight: 40.5 g.
With Zoom iQ7 you’ll always be ready for recording video and music. Just connect the device to the new product based on IOS and you can get a full set of high-quality sound recording.
Compared with the previous model, iq7 has a large front controller, which provides the installation of an optimal level of the microphone input, and LED indicator for clear sound, without overloading. This unit has a built-in headphone jack, so that the user can control the audio track when playing or recording.
Pivoting mechanism allows to rotate the microphone in the right or left direction when recording.
Recording with this innovative technology is designed to adjust the characteristics of the stereo, even without treatment.
A pair of microphone elements perfectly capture the sound in three ranges:
- 90 ° allows you to concentrate on recording from a central source.
- 120 ° is designed for a wide sound range.
- Feature «MS» makes it possible to record the signal in its raw form, followed by treatment in the free software Zoom Handy Recorder IOS.
Developers of Zoom iQ7 provided compatibility with any device on IOS 6 or later. The microphone is supplied with a special lining that provides a tight connection with Apple devices.
iQ7 microphone is compatible with almost all programs for signal processing from an external source, such as Garageband, and Voice Memo. These applications support multiple speeds, allowing you to choose between 48 and 44.1 kHz for best audio quality.
Blue Microphones Mikey Digital (Lightning Version) – is a stereo condenser microphone for iPhone / iPad / iPod touch, which has auto settings of record level, the input connector for external sources, swivel mechanism, Lightning connector.
Mikey Digital Microphone is ideal for mobile recording, equipped with two condenser capsules of Blue company proprietary. Blue Microphones Mikey Digital will help to turn your iOS device (iPhone / iPad / iPod touch) into a real recorder for recording podcasts, live performances, interviews, audio recording video, recording instruments such as the guitar, as well as vocals.
Mikey Digital has a stylish design of the body, in addition the swivel mechanism allows you to change the microphone angle of 230-degrees, which is very convenient for a variety of recording tasks. Mikey Digital has three different auto gain settings that allow you to apply the iOS-mic everywhere: from a loud concert to a whisper. The housing is also equipped with a connector 1/8 mini jack to connect an external source such as a guitar or bass, or a stereo line output with the mixer, as well as a USB connector to charge your iOS device.
Key features and specifications:
- Stereo condenser microphone for iPhone / iPad / iPod touch.
- Lightning Connector.
- Housing rotation: 230 degrees.
- Recording quality 44.1kHz / 16bit.
- The frequency range: 35Hz – 20kHz.
- Maximum SPL 130dB.
- Auto settings of recording level.
- Connector 1/8 mini jack for connecting line-level sources, instruments, microphones.
- Connector USB Mini-B for charging iOs devices.
- The microphone is compatible with almost all popular applications, such as Apple’s GarageBand, Jammit, SunVox, standard iOS Camera app, etc.
- Compatibility: iOS 6.0, iOS 7.0 or newer, iPhone 5 | 5s | 5c, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad (4th generation), iPad mini.
RODE SmartLav + -s a lavalier microphone for the use with smartphones and tablets on iOS and Android, which has the circular direction, the Kevlar cable and the TRRS connector.
This is a very high quality microphone with a good bundle and application for iOS named Rode Rec App.
- Miniature microphone of a professional class.
- High-quality capsule with a circular radiation pattern.
- Foam windscreen.
- Compatible with all iOS and Android devices having an input for headset.
- Transforms iPhone (IPad) in a full-featured high-quality digital recorder.
- Improved sensitivity and protection from noise.
- High recording quality on a smartphone.
- Metal housing.
- Kevlar-reinforced cable.
- Small case is included.
- A wide range of presets.
- Use with Rode Rec App for Apple iOS.
Focusrite iTrack Pocket
This portable high-quality stereo microphone is equipped with an input for a guitar that allows you not only to create exclusive and unique videos but share them using your iPhone. Many microphones in the iPhone are good enough for ordinary calls, but despite this, they are experiencing a lot of problems with recording musical performances. The reason for this is the fact that the microphones in the iPhone were not designed to pay tribute to the live sound of the vocals and the guitars sound. That is why Apple recommends all users to buy Iphone iTrack Pocket, and endorses its use.
How does Focusrite iTrack Pocket work?
iTrack Pocket allows you to choose the perfect angle to record sound that occurs simultaneously with the capture video of your presentation. It is worth noting that the iTrack Pocket outshines the conventional microphone thanks to the guitar input required to produce a clean sound, and also there is a built-in amplifier.
iTrack Pocket – is the best solution for YouTube performers.
To upload your video to YouTube you must:
- Connect the device to the iPhone.
- Select the desired effects.
- Press record.
- Edit video: it only takes a few seconds. Ultimately, the program will load the video in incredibly high quality.
Benefits of Focusrite iTrack Pocket
Speaking of this wonderful device as iTrack Pocket, you can not identify a number of advantages:
- The ability to capture clear sound of any musical instruments and voices, making the device popular among singer-songwriters.
- Record audio and video series in HD quality.
- The presence of the connectors with a guitar allows you to record the most clear sound by simply pressing a button.
- Compact and clever design that makes it possible to carry the device in your pocket.
- It comes with a special application that allows the automatic loading of the video on YouTube.
- Compatible with most devices from the company Apple: iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S.
iTrack Pocket – is a great device for recording, which can replace an entire studio, technically equipped with the latest technology.
- Frequency response: 20Hz – 20kHz.
- Maximum input level: 100dBA.
- Frequency response: 20Hz – 20kHz +/- 1dB.
- Dimensions: 43 x 124 x 40 mm.
This is a lavalier microphone which is compatible with smartphones and tablets on iOS and Android, has the circular direction, the TRRS connector, the headphone output.
This device is the miniature lavalier microphone for direct connection to your telephone based on iOS (iPhone, iPad) and smartphones and tablets based on Android. The microphone is designed for the voice recording – podcasts, interviews, presentations and lectures, etc. This novelty provides better sound quality than the built-in microphone of your devices. Just using this type of the microphone you can record the sound for the video.
cosMik Lav is very easy in using, operates with all applications that support the recording with an external microphone, ensures the normal recording quality that is close to professional level. For convenience, the microphone cable has a headphone jack that allows the user to carry the signal monitor or listen to recorded material without disconnecting of the microphone.
Package includes: microphone cosMik Lav, a foam windscreen, a clip for attachment to clothes, a storage pouch.
Key features and specifications:
- lavalier microphone which is connected to smartphones and tablets on iOS and Android;
- operates with all applications that support recording from external microphone;
- the device with omnidirectional diagram;
- cable with TRRS (for connecting to other audio devices you need a special adapter TRRS-TRS);
- 1.2 meter of cable;
- headphones output of mini jack type for monitoring while recording;
- weight: 20g, taking into account the cable.
- Frequency response: 40Hz – 20kHz.
- Sensitivity: -39dB.
- Resistance: 3k Ohm.
- Max. SPL (1% THD, @ 1kHz): 115dB.
- Signal / noise ratio: 65dB.
Audio-Technica ATR3350IS – is a lavalier miniature microphone with an adapter for a smartphone, which has a headphone output and a switch unit for a battery.
Audio-Technica ATR3350 – the omnidirectional condenser microphone is ideal for sports instructors and video where the minimum visibility and a small size are desired. It is easily attached to clothing, but low-profile design provides its invisibility. The microphone is equipped with a 6-foot cable ending with a 3.5 mm plug that is suitable for direct connection to most cameras. And also, it comes with an adapter for connection to a smartphone or tablet, with a headphone output.
- microphone ATR3350;
- adapter for smartphone;
- Built-in 6m cable of the easy movement or the use with a video camera.
- Omnidirectional diagrams offer a full coverage.
- Elements: condenser.
- Diagrams of directivity: omnidirectional.
- Frequency range: 50 – 18,000 Hz.
- Sensivity: -54 DB.
- Resistance: 1000 ohms.
- Weight: 6 g.
- Cable: 6 m with 3.5 mm jack (1/8) TRS jack.
- Adapter for a smartphone with a 3.5 mm connector TRRS jack.
MXL MM-160 – is a lavalier microphone for the use with smartphones and tablets on iOS and Android, characterized by having the circular direction, the TRRS connector, and the input for headphones.
MXL MM-160 – is a miniature lavalier microphone which is designed for the voice recording, for example, the interviews, lectures, seminars, and similar applications. The cable length of 1.83 meters enables you to record speech for the visuals, and the headphone output allows to monitor the signal in time of recording in the headphones.
The set includes: a windscreen, a clip for clothes, a case.
Note: this type of the device will not work with a conventional connector TRS (3,5 mm jack), for connection to a similar socket an adapter is required.
- Electret condenser microphone.
- Orientation: circular.
- Frequency response: 40-18000Hz.
- Sensitivity: -42dB ± 3dB (0dB = 1V / Pa, @ 1kHz).
- Cable length: 1.83m.
- Headphone jack: 3,5mm jack .
Sennheiser ClipMic digital
This is an omnidirectional lavalier microphone for iPhone, iPad, iPod.
Thanks to the microphone ClipMic digital your mobile device now provides a professional recording level . This microphone offers features that were previously available only to professionals. It easily adapts to all necessary applications.
- professional solution for mobile recording;
- supports Apple mobile devices on the basis of iOS;
- record audio up to 24-bit / 96 kHz;
- condenser microphone capsule (the same as in the Sennheiser ME 2) provides “excellent clarity and intelligibility of speech”;
- microphone preamp and analog-to-digital converter by Apogee;
- headphone output of iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch can be used to monitor the recording;
- novelty works with applications Apogee, MetaRecorder and Maestro;
- to control the main functions of the program MetaRecorder with the help of Apple Watch;
- the device comes with a clip, a carrying case and a windscreen;
- the ability to download recorded files and files of Final Cut Pro XML in Dropbox sharing directly from MetaRecorder applications.
- Audio-bit: 16 bits or 24 bits.
- Built-in processing: the compressor and EQ (selectable presets Apogee Maestro).
- Gain range: 0 – 35 dB.
- Frequency range: 30 – 20,000 Hz.
- Direction: circular.
- Equivalent to noise (A-weighted): -90 dBFS (gain: min) or -57 dBFS (gain: max).
- Sensitive: -46 dBFS (gain: min) or -11 dBFS (gain: max).
- Maximal level of sound pressure: 126 dB (gain: min) or 91 dB (gain: max).
- The diameter of the capsule: 6.5 mm.
- Length of cable: 160 cm.
- Weight: 24 g.
IK Multimedia iRig Voice
IK Multimedia iRig Voice is a functional portable microphone with bright body created for voice recording and vocal. Without any effort the microphone is connected to the device, whether mobile phone or tablet so you can enjoy singing your favorite songs, or start working with music applications.
The technology used in the iRig Voice, allows you to work well with voice frequencies. It will be your faithful companion, not only for recording but also for live performances.
Microphone is easy to use. Its design is laid out for long-term use in the work, and the optimized shape ensures secure mounting on most standard mic stands, used for stage performances.
Cardioid polar pattern used in the iRig Voice, makes it possible to remove the sound of a voice from a close distance. This minimizes the effect of feedback, which often occurs when working with sound.
On / off slide on the microphone casing gives an access to quick enable or disable. The body is made from high quality plastic, not only lightweight, but also durable.
So you can quickly and securely connect a device, the cable is provided. IK Multimedia iRig Voice – is the perfect tool to express yourself in creative work. It creates high-quality sound and has a stylish design to attract attention.
- Compatibility with iOS, Android devices.
- Minimization of feedback.
- Headphone output (monitoring).
- Switch on the housing.
- Connection: analog adapter 3.5 mm.
- Dimensions: 215 x 53 x 53 mm.
- Weight: 253 g.
- Cable: 2 m.
The model i-XLR developed by specialists of Rode. This microphone interface of compact performance designed to work on iOS devices. With i-XLR it is convenient to record interviews and reports on the iPod, iPhone, iPad with the built-in Lightning jack. The interface supports the use of different microphones, including lavalier and “gun”.
Thanks to the provided in i-XLR shielded cable of 2 meters, you can accommodate a smartphone in your bag or pocket while recording. The body is equipped with an output for a headphone with the level control for monitoring audio in the real time. Among other things, i-XLR features a LED indicator of the record and a switch which is capable to provide 20 dB of gain with the dynamic microphones.
It is recommended to use interface with a proprietary iOS app called Rode Reporter App.
Features of the i-XLR:
Dimensions: 80x33x35 mm.
Weight: 125 g.