Advanced GoPro users whose hobbies and work include making videos often doubt the quality of the sound recording in GoPro cameras. If you are not satisfied with that, you can always consider buying an additional mic. Below, we’ve reviewed the most popular microphones compatible with GoPro cameras. Any of them can considerably increase the quality of the sound recording, but they all have different fastening systems and operation principles – that’s what we’re going to talk about in the reviews.
Saramonic G-Mic Stereo Ball Microphone
The Saramonic GoMic (G-Mic) is an excellent addition to your GoPro camera. It permits you to record pure professional quality stereo sound.
GoMic device is compact in size and lightweight, so you can take it with you on any trip or just use it for everyday shooting.
GoMic operation is carried out directly through GoPro HERO3, HERO3 HERO4 cameras to which it is connected via a USB port – you don’t need any adapters or additional power sources. Due to the fact that GoMic is lightweight and compact, it can be used with most electronic stedicams. By using the Saramonic GoMic, you will get a completely new sound on your records! The mic is protected by a steam-proof windshield.
- Microphone type: Electret Condenser.
- Dual X/Y stereo capacitor capsule.
- Dynamic range: 35 Hz – 20 kHz.
- Signal to noise ratio: 80 dB.
- Sensitivity: -24dB +/- 3dB/0dB=1V Pa, 1kHz
- Connector: mini USB of GoPro camera.
Rode VMGO Video Mic GO
The Rode VideoMic Go device is made specially for digital video cameras of various levels and classes.
Rode VideoMic Go surpasses the original VideoMic Rode in that it brings together high-quality sound transmission and a very compact, ultra-light, handy design.
Along with high quality, VideoMic Go develops other peculiarities that made it so popular in the past.
Disturbances that can occur during transportation are minimized, thanks to a modified, more elegant antivibration design and a lightweight cable.
Rode VideoMic Go is great in situations when you want to hear what you say – rather than be content with offscreen sounds on the sides and from behind.
- Compact size.
- Super Light (73 g).
- 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack connector (dual mono signal).
- The battery is not required – power from the camera (min. 2.5 V).
- Built-in anti-vibration mount Rycote “Lyre”.
- Wind protection is included.
- Maximum acoustic pressure: 120 dB (@ 1 kHz, 1% THD at 1 k).
- Dynamic range: 96 dB.
- Signal to noise ratio: 60 dB.
Purple Panda Lavalier Lapel Microphone
This lavalier microphone is great for many reasons. First of all, it is small and unnoticeable but at the same time able to produce stereo audio of pretty good quality. The company that produces this mic is not so popular and might be considered as a budget one, but this doesn’t make its products undesirable. On the contrary, you can get nice equipment for a reasonable price which is always great.
The mic itself is lightweight and durable. Its most prominent peculiarity is that you don’t need to fine-tune settings or download additional software – just plug and play! – meaning as soon as you connect the mic to your device, it will start to operate.
Many reviewers of the mic say that it has a very long cord, which is, in our opinion, very convenient because it means you can use it in many different circumstances.
What’s inside the bag?
- 9.8ft (3m) extension cord;
- mini USB adapter;
- trs (2 ring) adapter;
- fuzzy windscreen;
- extra clip;
- a pouch.
- an omnidirectional Lav Mic with a metal capsule for clear stereo audio;
- 3.5mm stereo jack for ultimate compatibility;
- compatible with GoPro HERO2, HERO3, HERO3+, HERO4, HERO5*, HERO6*, HERO 7;
- compatible with devices running on iOS and Android;
- compatible with laptops, desktops, DSLR, Camcorder, and many more;
- ultra-thin plug;
- extra long cord.
REMOVU RM-M1+A1 wireless Microphone
The Removu M1 A1 consists of two separate units: a Bluetooth mic module and a conventional microphone. The Bluetooth module is mounted to the back of the camera – it attaches to it via the USB port. The size of the module allows you to place it together with the camera in the protective box. There are two interchangeable mounts in the microphone’s set. With the help of clip-fastening, the mic can be attached to any piece of clothing or equipment. The second mount lets you lock the mic on GoPro.
The controls are very simple and intuitive. The mic has two buttons and an indicator. One of the buttons is accountable for the activation, the other – for connecting to the Bluetooth module. The Bluetooth module also has a power switch and a module activation button. Two indicators show the status of the module’s connection to the mic and GoPro camera.
The complete package also contains a waterproof mic box that permits you to record sound even under water. The device in the box can be immersed to a depth of 1 meter (but not longer than for 30 minutes). To protect the Bluetooth module, the waterproof box of the GoPro camera itself can be used.
Wind protection, which is also included, will help to reduce the level of extraneous noise.
Both devices are equipped with lithium-polymer batteries, the charge of which is sufficient for up to 8 hours of work. Charging is carried out using the USB port.
Sennheiser MKE 2 elements
Action-microphone for GoPro HERO4 cameras can be a significant component of your extreme life! Do you want the sound of proper quality in every clip that you produce with your GoPro? Action-microphone MKE 2 elements for GoPro® HERO4 will record everything in a proper manner. Anytime and anywhere! Even in those very difficult moments, which are not rare in the life of a true extremist. It does not matter how, what, or where you shoot – in the mountains, under the water, in the snow – be sure that the Sennheiser MKE 2 elements will never miss a single sound, and your video will surprise the audience not only with a dramatic plot but also with a thrilling sound recorded at a professional level.
MKE2 elements is the world’s only compact, secure mic that is certified by GoPro company. More than that, it is recommended by the company for the use with the HERO4 GoPro series.
The MKE2 elements system is incredibly simple. It includes a device with an elastic hanger and a removable windproof attachment. Action Mike MKE2 elements are different in shapes and sizes, but their design is an exact copy of the back panel of the GoPro HERO4 camera.
To plug the mic, you should remove and replace the regular rear case cover on the MKE2 elements. The installing procedure the device takes a few seconds and is done without any additional tools or materials.
With MKE2 elements, your HERO4 will record sound in the Sennheiser brand quality without reducing the protection level of the camera. In any circumstances – in dust, mud, snow, wind, and even underwater. So, think about more important things and forget about the mic – it will not let you down!
BRIEF TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION of MKE 2 ELEMENTS:
- Dimensions: approx. 125 x 70 x 60 mm (with installed windshield, the diameter of the windproof head is 62 mm);
- Weight: approx. 45 g (with wind protection);
- Characteristics of the direction of the device: omnidirectional;
- Frequency range of the microphone: 20-20000 Hz;
- Connectors: standard GoPro audio connector (for HERO4 Black and Silver cameras);
- Degree of protection: IPX7, water resistance at a pressure of no more than 1 bar (equivalent to immersion at a depth of 1 meter for a period of up to 30 minutes);
- Permissible ambient temperature range;
for storage of the device: -20 C 70 C;
for operation: -10 C to 50 C.
Smith-Victor Lavalier Microphone
This Smith-Victor mic is nothing special really. But sometimes ‘nothing special’ is all you need in order to make things work. Reviewers claim that it is good for skating and if it is good for skating it is good for other activities as well.
You can read a technical description below. Just a few words worth saying: lavalier doesn’t mean bad quality – what it means is convenience; clip-on feature is great in situations when you are really active; foam windscreen helps to get rid of unpeasant noises. Now you know the basic stuff, just check the price and see if this mic suits you.
- omnidirectional pickup pattern;
- 3.5mm-to-mini USB Adapter;
- frequency response: 65Hz to 18kHz;
- LR44 Alkaline Battery;
- foam windscreen;
- lapel clip;
- compatible with GoPro cameras, HDSLR cameras, Smartphones and Camcorders;
- weight: 0.8 ounces
The Sony external mic ECM-ds70p is a great accessory for GoPro camera that improves the sound quality of the captured video. This device permits you to catch an increased level of audio as well as higher-resolution sounds. The durable design of the accessory has a stylish low profile look.
This mic is a simple and practical way to improve the sound recording quality on GoPro. Efficient wind protection and extraneous noise protection help to record perfect sound, even in a very nasty environment. Convenient flexible design allows you to attach this microphone to anything. The total length of 5 cm will be great for shooting in a confined space.
- Universal 3.5 mm output, relevant for all types of devices;
- Special USB adapter for a microphone is included;
- Sensitivity: -52dB ± 5dB;
- Frequency range: 30HZ – 15KHZ.
Movo GM100 Lavalier Lapel Clip-on Microphone
This clip-on omnidirectional mic is an amazing tool for all kinds of videomakers. It is so much better than the mic embedded in GoPro cameras. By the way, Move GM100 is not only for GoPro – it goes together with DSLR and other cameras as well.
The microphone is lightweight and portable. Its omnidirectional pickup pattern is able to catch a wide range of sounds. More than that, there is a stereo recording. You can view other geeky characteristics below. There are two types of design – silver and black. No additional batteries are required, but if you always need some extra operation time, you can choose a ‘battery double’ option.
- compatibility: GoPro HERO3, HERO3+ & HERO4;
- omnidirectional pickup pattern;
- foam windscreen;
- metal lapel clip;
- frequency response: 35 Hz to 18 kHz;
- sensitivity: -30 dB +/- 3 dB (0 dB = 1 V/Pa @ 1 kHz);
- impedance: 1 k Ohm +/-30% @ 1 kHz;
- 3.5mm Male with female 3.5mm to GoPro USB adapter;
- 1.2m (47″) cable;
- signal/noise ratio: 74dB SPL.
PANNOVO Microphone for GoPro
This device is made for the use with a GoPro camera. You don’t want to use a lavalier microphone? Then read the characteristics of this model:
- The mini adapter provides maximum conductivity;
- Adapter with 3.5 mm plug;
- Connects to the camera directly;
- A storage bag is included;
- Comes with buckle and screw;
The adapter has a short arm and 2 wind deflectors. The device is powered directly through the operating camera.
The disadvantage is the fact that you will not have an opportunity to use the mic if you’re going to be connected to Wi-Fi. For a better performance, use a tripod or stabilizer.Get it on Amazon back to menu ↑
Obviously, transmitting your voice using an external microphone Movo GM100 is much more pleasant and comfortable. It combines a stylish, restrained design and can produce a clear, high-quality sound.
- Omnidirectional condenser microphone;
- Works both with GoPro cameras and with a large number of smartphones;
- High sound characteristic, relevant for video shooting;
- Converter: electret condenser;
- Orientation: Omnidirectional;
- Bandwidth: 35Hz – 18KHz;
- Frequency rate: 74dB SPL;
- Sensitivity: -30dB +/- 3dB/0dB = 1V/PA, 1kHz;
- Joining: 3.5mm plug, Mini USB plug;
- Length of cable: Microphone – 1.2m Mic Adapter – 11cm.
- works with most action cameras;
- performs most of the actions of the video camera;
- works with DSLR cameras.
EDUTIGE ETM-001 Microphone
Small doesn’t mean bad. ETM-001 is an excellent proof for that. This miniature mic is very powerful. Being omnidirectional, it picks up sounds from all the sides. You don’t need to think a lot about how to install this mic – just plug and play!
What else? Portability of this device is quite obvious – you can see this in the picture. The mic can be used for recording all types of videos – lectures, vlogs, nature observations; it will be wonderful even for podcasts where the voice means much more than pictures. If you are looking for a convenient model, you have found one.
- omnidirectional electret condenser microphone;
- metallic body with gold-plated 3.5mm 3-pole plug;
- high sensitivity (-23dB);
- compatible with action cameras (GoPro), DLSR, mirrorless cameras (Canon, Sony), digital audio recorders (Zoom, Tascam), PC or Laptop;
- frequency response: 50 – 18000Hz;
- dimensions: 9.3 x 19.8mm;
- weight: 5.9 grams;
- no batteries required;
- operating conditions: 0°C – 40°C.
Fantaseal Stereo Mic Kit
This is a small compact two-channel microphone that is capable of capturing video with a clear stereo sound, which is so essential in recording sports videos. Perfectly suitable for GoPro cameras.
The 3.5 mm UMB microphone is characterized by excellent cross-country ability and minimal noise pick-up.
Simply connect the microphone to the camera and start shooting. No other converters are needed. This model is very light, compact, and portable. This is a perfect solution for outdoor video shooting.
Also, this microphone can be used for recording video conferences, blogging on Youtube, or holding various events. But still, this model is more frequently used for walking, camping, cycling, etc., where you need to record a high-quality video with good sound in unusual conditions.
The microphone has a convenient clip that makes it easy to fasten the model on clothes in order to free your hands.
Please note that this microphone is not compatible with all models of GoPro cameras.back to menu ↑
Commlite Comica CVM-VM10 is a miniature condenser microphone with a cardioid (narrow) beam pattern, which allows you to capture the sound that comes directly from the front of the microphone, minimizing extraneous noise. Comica CVM-VM10 can be used for high-quality sound recording on DSLR, mirrorless and video cameras, as well as smartphones or tablets operation on iOS or Android. A special vibration-damping suspension is provided. The microphone has a metal construction.
The Comica CVM-VM10 does not require additional power – just plug it into your camera, smartphone or tablet and get the good quality audio material.
Comica CVM-VM10 microphone characteristics:
- Microphone Type: Condenser;
- Directivity: cardioid directed;
- Housing material: aluminum alloy;
- Maximum SPL: 100 dB;
- Frequency range: 80 Hz ~ 16000 Hz;
- THD: ≤1%;
- Output resistance: 2.2 ± 30% kΩ;
- Dynamic range: 100 dB;
- Sensitivity: -34 ± 3db;
- Signal to noise ratio: ≥58 dB.
Microphone Saramonic SR-GMX1 is an excellent solution for active people because it is designed for use with action cameras GoPro HERO3, HERO3 + and HERO4. The high-quality microphone is ideal for recording video.
The holder of the mic stabilizes the removable screen (nozzle). SR-LMX1 is a sensitive omnidirectional microphone with 120 dB. It has a dynamic range and a wider frequency response than built-in microphones for smartphones. In addition, a microphone is compatible with applications for recording and can be connected to your phone or any other device with a standard 1/8 “microphone input.
- Directivity – Omnidirectional;
- Sensitivity -30 ± 3 dB (0 dB = 1 V / Pa at 1 kHz);
- The weight – 22 grams;
- Frequency range – 30 Hz to 18 kHz;
- Resistance – 2200 Ω.