It is not a secret that in the world of music the different microphones differ not only in color and form. At the same time, all microphones have one and the same goal: to make sound and translate it into an electrical signal, which we can subsequently manage. However, the way they do it can greatly affect the quality of sound on stage, in the rehearsal, or in the recording studio.
The directional (cardioid) microphones – are those microphones that receive the sound in only one direction. From the name “cardioid” it may seem that a microphone has something in common with the heart (remember the same cardiogram). And indeed it is! The polar pattern of the cardioid microphone resembles the shape of hearts, making them sensitive to the sound coming directly in front of the microphone and insensitive to the sounds behind the microphone. This type of the microphone is equally widely used both in the studio and in a concert! It is weakly susceptible to the sources located behind the microphone, making it the number 1 candidate to be used as a vocal or instrumental microphone.
RODE NTG-2 – is a narrow, extremely light, directional condenser microphone of the professional level. It is designed for shooting movies, television and video production. A special feature of the microphone is the balanced output path with low resistance. For ease of use, there are two power supply options on the type of battery (AA) of one and a half volt or 48-volt standard phantom power.
A small noise, variable frequency response, wide range allow RODE NTG-2 successfully working in the film and video industry and using for simultaneous audio dubbing. The low weight of RODE NTG-2 makes it easy and convenient to attach to the camera using the special accessories or on a tripod. RODE NTG-2 comes with a windscreen and holder. The windshield significantly attenuates wind noise when recording is done outdoors.
Features of RODE NTG-2:
- Type: condenser.
- Professional quality sound.
- The low value of self-noise.
- Robust housing made of metal.
- Low weight.
- Includes a special mount and a carrying case.
- Type of directional pattern: super cardioid.
- The frequency range of 0.02 … 20 kHz.
- Output impedance, 250 ohms with phantom power, 350 on battery power.
- The signal-to-noise ratio: 76 dB.
- Equivalent noise: 18 dB.
- The highest SPL, 131 dB.
- The level of sensitivity: -36 dB.
- Dynamic range: 113 dB (with IEC651 and IEC268-15).
- Power microphone: phantom 48 or 1.5 battery.
- Weight of the microphone: 161 g.
Directional stereo microphone DM-100 – is the highly directional microphone which is installed on the mini advanced shoe camcorder. It can be used as a directional (mono) or stereophonic microphone. Using the DM-100 you can accurately record audio directly from the source of directional recording.
- Device type: the microphone for the camcorder.
- Connection type: wired.
- Orientation: directional.
- Resistance: 200 Ohm.
- The frequency: 100 – 10000 Hz.
- The sensitivity: -36 dB (mV / Pa).
- Black color.
- Dimensions: 32 x 80 x 130 mm.
- Weight: 77 g.
Canon DM-E1 – this is one of the most compact and lightweight directional stereo microphone its category. Thanks to 35 mm audio connector, the microphone is compatible with cameras of the Canon EOS line.
This type of the device is the first external microphone, which allows videographers recording qualitative sound with high picture quality on the compatible EOS cameras.
It features a classic design with three directional pickup modes, so the device allows you to configure the microphone for recording with the possibility of switching the radiation pattern in three different versions.
Mono mode – is the best choice for recording sound directly from the source in front of the camera, for example, when writing of a presenter or a reporter speech. This microphone provides full soundproofing.
Switching to 90 or 120-degree mode provides surround sound over large areas, such as in a concert hall.
Built-in shock-absorbing device provides noise reduction when operating the camera and zooming, while the windscreen helps to avoid the recording of wind noise.
When the audio frequency is from 50 Hz to 16 kHz, the microphone provides a full range of sound, and the ratio of “signal-to-noise ratio” of 66 dB and 42 dB for sensitive records allows minimizing the distortion.
Aputure V-Mic D2
A directional condenser microphone Aputure V-Mic D2 provides a clear high-quality sound recording when shooting video with low levels of ambient noise. Suitable for video cameras and shooting on a digital SLR camera.
- Aputure V-Mic D2 has a high orientation thanks to a super cardioid design that minimizes the background noise.
- V-Mic D2 is the unusually quiet microphone that is especially noticeable during the audio recording in low volumes. The construction of the microphone is designed to minimize its own electronic noise.
- The microphone features a background filter to suppress extraneous sound with a frequency below 100Hz, for example, wind noise, sound, camera focus, movement of cars, etc.
- V-Mic D2 has an attachment such as “hot shoe” for attaching to most video and photo cameras, as well as a fixing screw of 1/4 inch size for mounting to racks and tripods.
- Sensitivity: -50 ± 2dB.
- Frequency response: 20-20000Hz.
- Output impedance: 200 Ohm.
- The signal/noise ratio: 74dB.
- Power: 2 x AAA 1,5V element (100 hours).
- Dynamic range: 114dB.
- SPL: 134dB.
- THD: ≤0.5%.
- Dimensions: 194 x 44 x 92mm.
- Weight: 126g (without battery and windshield).
Boya BY-PVM1000L – is a directional condenser microphone-gun for the use with DSLR and video cameras, and portable recorders. To narrow the directionality, the manufacturer significantly increased the length of the microphone. As a result, this microphone very high quality eliminates noise in the capture zone and is absolutely not susceptible to extraneous noise from the outside.
- Switchable 80 Hz high-pass filter greatly extends the capabilities of Boya BY-PVM1000L. The device is equipped with a windscreen “hamster” and an anti-vibration mount to be mounted on a tripod or a “hot shoe” of the camera.
- Transformerless system will minimize parasitic crosstalk and noise. Products casing is made of durable and lightweight aluminum alloy. Universal Power System can be used as a phantom power via XLR connector and powered by standard batteries.
- A number of successful engineering solutions, as well as the quality of materials and workmanship, guarantee a trouble-free operation of the device for a long time. This model has earned popularity among reporters and people engaged in professional sound recording in theaters or on the set.
- Type: condenser.
- Radiation pattern: super cardioids.
- Frequency response: 30Hz – 20kHz.
- Sensitivity: – 33dB + / – 1dB / 0dB = 1V / Pa, 1kHz.
- Output impedance with phantom power: 300Om and more.
- Output impedance on battery power: 600 ohms or more.
- The ratio of noise signal:> 80dB.
- Power: AAA elements.
- Connection: 3-pin XLR.
- Length: 380mm.
- Weight: 146g.
This type of the mic is a compact and lightweight condenser microphone, which provides better sound quality compared to the built-in microphones in the DSLR. Mini microphone Boya BY-VM01 is designed to record audio when shooting video. It is destined for the use with digital SLR cameras and video cameras with built-in connector Jack 3.5mm. Equipped with anti-vibration mount and a windscreen to prevent noise when recording.
The microphone is compatible with all photo/video cameras with built-in 3.5 mm Jack.
Features of microphone Boya BY-VM01:
- Directional condenser microphone.
- Integrated shoe for mounting on camera.
- Anti-vibration design.
- Reinforced construction of durable plastic.
- Broadcast sound quality.
- Power: 1.5V AAA battery.
- Frequency range, Hz 38..20000.
- Resistance: 1000 Om.
- S/N ratio, dB75.
- Power: battery.
- Connector: Jack 3,5 mm.
- Dimensions in mm: 109 x 75 x 18.
- Weight: 62 g.
Currently unavailable.back to menu ↑
The updated version of a professional super-cardioid microphone VideoMic Rod, the production of the Australian company. The directional microphone has been specifically designed to work with sound, complete with high-end digital video cameras. When developing the device, the latest requirements of the industry complied. A distinctive feature of a new version is the presence of the anti-vibration mounting Rycote Lyra.
Highly directional on-camera microphone Rode Video Mic has a great frequency range, being compact and lightweight, and providing low noise level. There is a two-way switchable filter to reduce unwanted noise in the low-frequency range, allowing you to select one of two modes: linear or 80 Hz. 3-position attenuator has three modes: 0, -10 or -20 dB. The power comes from the microphone 9-watt standard battery. The microphone is equipped with a charge level indicator.
The microphone-gun Rode VideoMic is able to be attached to any video camera that has a standard mounting 1/4 or 3/8 inch ( “shoe”). The connection is using a stereo mini-jack 3.5 mm connector. The device is made of high-strength ABS polymer. There is a shock mount and a windscreen included. Also, in the updated version there is a mount Rycote Lyra included, preventing vibration, which may arise during driving.
Specifications of Rode VideoMic with anti-vibration mount Rycote Lyra:
- Acoustic principle: linear-gradient.
- Orientation: super cardioids.
- Frequency response: 40 Hz – 20 kHz.
- Activatable low-pass filter: 80 Hz / 12 dB per octave.
- Output impedance: 200 Ohm.
- Sensitivity: -38 dB 1V/Pa.
- Dynamic range: 114 dB.
- S/N ratio: 74 dB SPL (A-weighted to IEC651)
- Equivalent noise ratio: 20 dB SPL.
- Max SPL: 134 dB at a load of 1 kW.
- Power: alkaline battery 9 V, 5 mA.
- Operation time of the battery: more than 100 hours.
- Connection: stereo mini-jack 3.5 mm.
- Weight (without battery): 176 g.
- Length: 150 mm.
- Size (H × W × D): 65 × 250 × 102 mm.
There are few additional choices. Just choose “Videomic Rycote Lyre” if you want exact described model:back to menu ↑
Microphone CoMica CVM-VS08 is designed specifically for the use with smartphones and tablets from various manufacturers which have jack 3.5mm – iPhone, iPad, iPod, Samsung, LG, Sony, Lenovo and other models. The microphone has a cardioid (narrow) beam pattern, allowing capturing the sound directly in front of the microphone while bypassing the ambient noise.
Fully metal construction and the use of high-quality electronic components allow obtaining sound of amazing quality when recording on your smartphone or tablet.
On the back of the microphone CoMica CVM-VS08, the 3.5 mm headphone jack is located that lets you listen to the recorded material (not real-time monitoring).
Included a foam and fur windscreen. The aluminum case is equipped with a ceramic anti-reflective coating.
- Used capsule of 0.5 inches diameter.
- Polar pattern: cardioid type.
- The frequencies: 80-16 000 Hz.
- Sensitivity: -34 dB +/- 3dB.
- The maximum sound pressure: 100 dB.
- A-weighted equivalent noise: 58 dB.
- Dimensions: D21x85 mm.
- Weight: 35.4 g.
The microphone TakStar SGC-598 is designed for the high-quality audio recording when shooting video. It fits into standard shoe flashes.
This mic can be used with all video and digital SLR cameras with jack MIC (3.5mm jack).
- Robust aluminum housing.
- Cardioid sensitivity direction effectively reduces ambient noise.
- Sensitivity switch.
- The switch of low pass filter.
- Power supply: 1 battery size AA, 1.5V – about 100 hours of operation.
- Frequency response: 50-16000 Hz.
- Sensitivity: -32dB +/- 3dB (0dB = 1V / Pa at 1KGts).
- Resistance: 2000 Ohm +/- 30%.
This is an external professional condenser stereo microphone MIC-109 for video, digital compact, and SLR cameras. The directional microphone MIC-109 provides high-quality audio recording when shooting video. The three-level scheme of the amplification and high sensitivity ensure high-quality stereo sound. The model has a low power of consumption, which will ensure long-term operation when shooting.
It is designed to record sound when shooting movies and is installed in the hot shoe. It has two modes of entry (orientation): 90 degrees for entry point sources and 120 degrees to record multiple audio sources – a concert, a play, etc.
MIC-109 has a mount-type “hot shoe” for connection to most video and still cameras, as well as fixing screw 1/4 inch to Props and tripods.
The microphone is fully compatible with any video cameras, digital compact and SLR cameras that have a standard microphone input connector MIC (3.5mm jack), as well as the standard cold or hot shoe for attaching external devices. If the camera has no shoe, you can place the microphone on any of the brackets which can be fastened in a threaded vent of the bottom of the chamber. If the camera has a shoe, but not standard, it is possible to install the adapter to a standard shoe, in which you will need to place the microphone.
Thanks to its compact construction, the MIC-109 microphone is ideal for all SLR cameras and small video cameras.
Specifications of the MIC-109 microphone:
- Frequency response: 30-18000Hz.
- Sensitivity: -40dB ± 2dB (0dB = 1V / Pa at 1 KHz).
- Output impedance: 200 Ohm.
- Signal/noise ratio: 76dB.
- Max SPL (Sound Pressure Level / sound inlet pressure): 120dB (1% T.H.D at 1KHz frequency).
- Orientation: 90 or 120 degrees (Single Point * 2).
- Power: CR1632 3V.
- Cable Length: 280mm.
- Dimensions (mm): 85*59*26.
- Weight without batteries: 47 g.